UNC Kenan-Flagler follows University Onyen policies in regards to the Business Account. UNC-Chapel Hill Onyen Policy
Computer Purchasing and Support
This policy is for faculty and staff members at UNC Kenan-Flagler. Purchases include extended warranties and standard software, and the school computing budget absorbs the cost of technical staff time for setup and support. Our Purchasing and Lifecycle policies can be found on our IT Purchasing site.
UNC Kenan-Flagler operates its own separate email server from the one offered by Main Campus. The policies regarding email that are put in place by UNC are followed by the UNC Kenan-Flagler IT Department. UNC-Chapel Hill Email Domain Policy
UNC Kenan-Flagler follows University policies regarding the retirement of employees. Faculty Retirement Policy
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.
- FERPA website
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Policies and Procedures Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (“FERPA”)
- Cloud Computing FAQ
- Student Privacy While Using Online Educational Services - Requirements and Best Practices
- Student Privacy While Using Online Educational Services - Model Terms of Service
Systems and Server Maintenance
UNC Kenan-Flagler's IT Department has identified the following maintenance window to be used for upgrades, testing, patch application, and other potential downtime for all computer systems hosted at UNC Kenan-Flagler
- Evenings: 10:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.
Laptop and Desktop MaintenanceRegularly scheduled patches from Microsoft are issued the second Tuesday of each month and there are updates from other software companies as well that we will install. The UNC Kenan-Flagler IT Department will review the patches and deploy them to the school accordingly. It is critical that when you receive an update, that you install it and complete the installation which usually requires a computer reboot. Leaving your computer at a login prompt nightly will avoid loss of any unsaved data that might occur from a reboot. If you have questions about an update you received, please contact the IT Service Desk at 919-962-0792. All Microsoft Windows computers purchased with school funds regardless of funding source will be placed on the Business domain. This allows the IT Department to manage software on the computers including critical security patches. These computers will also have asset inventory software (SCCM and Samanage) and anti-malware installed such as System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP).It is against school policy to tamper with either of these programs. To remove or disable these programs may result in removal of the equipment from the UNC Kenan-Flagler network.
Loaner Laptops are available from the IT Service Desk the following circumstances:
- Students: Students can only borrow a loaner laptop from the IT Service Desk if their computer is being repaired. If the repairs are being performed at a repair shop (Main Campus ITS, Geek Squad, Apple, etc) proof of active repair is required before a loaner will be provided. If the UNC Kenan-Flagler IT Service Desk is performing the repair the loaner may be kept until our work is complete, otherwise the laptop may be loaned for a maximum of 10 days.
- Faculty/Staff/PhD: Laptops can be loaned out for a week in the case that these customers require a computer for a business trip/conference. If a laptop or multiple laptops are needed for an on campus event these computers may be loaned out for a single day.
- Non-Laptop Loaner Equipment: The IT Service Desk has the following types of non-laptop items available for loan:
- Power adapters – Apple, Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft Surface.
- Video adapters - Mini-DisplayPort to VGA, mini-HDMI to HDMI, micro-HDMI to HDMI, etc.
- Acknowledges the faculty members' intellectual property rights in recorded lectures and class materials and that distribution of the recordings violates the UNC-Chapel Hill Copyright Policy;
- Recognizes the privacy rights of students who speak in class;
- Accepts that distribution, posting, or uploading class recordings to students or others not authorized to receive them or to those outside UNC Kenan-Flagler is an Honor Code violation and potentially UNC IT Data Security Policies;
- Agrees that recordings are to be accessed and used only as directed by the faculty member(s) teaching the course.
Responsible Computer Use
UNC Kenan-Flagler follows University policies on the acceptable use of hardware and data privacy.
UNC Kenan-Flagler follows University policies regarding rights and access management.
ITS oversees the creation, enforcement and management of many IT, security and related policies. Policy topics include:
- Appropriate Use
- UNC Chapel Hill Data Network
- University IT related Policies