Registration for Multifactor Authentication and Self-Service Password Reset
- Go to microsoft365.com
- At the login screen, enter your Kenan-Flagler username @business.unc.edu
- You will see a screen that says More information required. Click Next
- You will be asked to enter your Kenan-Flagler password, enter it and click Sign In
- You will then see a screen that says Keep your account secure. Click Next
- Download and Install the Microsoft Authenticator App on your Apple or Android mobile device
- At the Set up your account screen, click Next. You will then see a screen with a QR code.
- On the Microsoft Authenticator app, click on the + to add an account, then choose Work or school account. Choose Scan a QR code
- Scan the QR code on the computer screen and click Next
- Your account will then send a Test notification, and should say "Notification Approved". Click Next
- You will then be asked to set up a second factor of Authentication. You can enter your phone number, then choose Text me a code. Click Next
- You should receive a text on your phone with codes. Enter the codes, and you should see a message that says SMS verified. Click Next
- This completes your Multifactor Authentication registration
New Phone (Add new multifactor authentication)
Got new phone? You need to re-configure multifactor whenever you've switched phones for both Microsoft Authenticator (or Duo Mobile) as the services are sending notifications to your old device, not the new one. Use these instructions to regain access to your account.Microsoft AuthenticatorMy Sign-Ins | Security Info | Microsoft.com
Duo Mobile (UNC-Chapel Hill) Help Articles - 2-Step Verification for Duo: Reactivate a Device (unc.edu)
- Sign in with firstname.lastname@example.org, your KFBS passphrase
- It may send a notification to the old device, if so, click the link for "I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now"
- On the "Verify your identity" page use one of your other listed methods (may include SMS text, call, personal email, etc..)
- On the "Security info" page, delete the old Microsoft Authenticator app
- Use + to Add sign-in method, use dropdown menu to select Authenticator app and use the Scan QR method
- On phone - Open MS Authenticator > + (Add account) > Work/school > Scan QR code
Self-Service Password Reset
After setting up your 2 factors of authentication, you are now enrolled in Self-Service Password Reset. If you forget your Kenan-Flagler password, or it expires, simply do the following:
- Go to microsoft365.com
- Click the link that says Can't access your Account?
- You will see a screen that says Which type of account do you need help with? Choose Work or school account.
- Enter your Kenan-Flagler email@example.com
- Enter the characters as displayed, click Next
- Choose I forgot my password, then click Next
- You will then see a screen that says Verification Step 1, you can choose what method of authentication you want to use. You can send a text or a call to your phone, or approve a notification on Microsoft Authenticator, or use codes from Authenticator. Follow the instructions to verify your identify. You will then be asked for a second method of authentication.
- You will see a screen that says Choose a new password. Enter the new password you would like to use for your Kenan-Flagler account. Remember that it has to be a minimum of 17 characters. You can use Capital letters, special characters or numbers, but they are not required.
- You will then see a screen that confirms that your password has been reset. You should also receive an email confirming.
If you need further assistance, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call us at 919-962-0792